The 11th Annual Electric Vehicle Show and Ride was held in the West Spanish Banks parking
area on Saturday, June 10th. We managed to completely fill the adjacent lot with visitor
vehicles all day long. A Global News crew was onsite early and by noon the story had
aired, resulting in even more visitors. Many thanks go to the REV! promotion team
(Don Chandler, John Stonier and Greg Fung) the rest of the team.
Thanks to Andrew Laurenson for being the food runner.
- Dave Cloud brought his 60 mph recliner and sofa trailer, giving free rides
to people most of the day, until bent spokes on the trailer ended its day. Even
a crash into the curb at high speed while navigating a hairpin turn didn't stop the
recliner which made press-on-regardless Dave look like the Maxell guy in front of
the big speaker from decades past.
- Justin Lemire-Elmore, a UBC Engineering Physics grad, wasn't satisfied
with just two wheeled self-balancing skateboard last year. This year, it was a
self-balancing electric-drive unicycle. Yes, you heard right.
- The wheelie-pulling spinning loveseat was back giving thrilling rides all day!
- Special guests included the BCTV mobile news crew and VEVA member Mike Hoskinson
(120 volt Mazda B2200 pickup, 96 volt Sepex Citroen) who flew in from Edmonton.
- Randy Holmquist, who is in the business of converting gas vehicles to electric,
managed to get rid of most of his business cards that day!
- Newly licensed vehicles this year included Jan Engstrom and David Kronstein's
white 120 volt Sprint with 9" Kostov Sepex Motor
and Roger Stockton's white 120 volt Suzuki Forsa with 8" Advanced DC motor.