- to educate the general public through participation in public events, media exposure and website
- to educate VEVA's members through regular meetings, training activities, newsletter and club projects
- to liaise with the three levels of government to assist the safe adoption of electric vehicles, electric vehicle infrastructure and consumer awareness
- to cooperate with and support the EV industry
- to encourage VEVA member ownership of EV
- to liaise with and take out memberships in other EV organizations
- to own unique EVs for educational and promotional purposes
- to support the use of electric vehicles that have been determined to be safe for use
- to support the development and enhancement of EV technologies
VEVA promotes the use of electric vehicles over internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles for three reasons,
based on the fact that electric vehicles are:
- greater societal benefits
- greater environmental benefits
- greater economic benefits
- a cleaner form of transportation
- a quieter form of transportation
- a more efficient use of energy and natural resources
VEVA has NO policy on the following items:
- fuel cells
- one commercial product over another
- electric power generation (ie. nuclear, coal etc.)
- traffic congestion
Second Level Policy Position
- VEVA supports demonstrable sustainable vehicle technologies (nuclear power generation is controversial - may not be sustainable)
- VEVA supports reducing carbon dioxide emissions (environmental good)
VEVA General Policy Guidelines:
- VEVA recognizes the automotive adoption of gas-electric hybrids, plug-in electric hybrids as cross-over technology which will assist in transitioning the current ICE only infrastructure to all electric vehicles.
- VEVA recognizes the use of plug-in electric hybrids utilizing ICE generators where battery electric or grid-tied electric applications are not practical.
- VEVA recognizes the benefits of grid tied electric vehicles such as trolley buses and electric trains but these are outside the main focus of VEVA.
- VEVA supports building the infrastructure to support all electric vehicles to enable all citizens to be able to obtain the benefits available from using EVs.
- VEVA supports initiatives such as ZEV mandates as adopted by CARB in 1990 to ensure major automakers devote a portion of their activity to building EVs.
- VEVA encourages the adoption of Low Speed Vehicles